The meniscus, also known as the MCL, is a C-shaped joint piece of cartilage which acts as a shock absorber between the knee bone and shin bone.
It can get torn even when you simply bend down with your leg straight out. A torn meniscus is actually one of the more common knee injuries among young athletes and it is the second most common cause of knee pain in adults.
The menisciitis is caused by an inflammation or swelling of the menisciitis in the knee joint. This swelling may not be a severe case but it still needs to be treated with a treatment. There are many different causes for a menisciitis. Some of these include:
– Ligament tears and sprains – This is usually brought about by overuse and the constant pulling and bending of your knee which causes the ligaments to pull apart. This pulls the menisci to tear or be dislodged. This is also one of the major reasons why people have pain when moving their legs.
The ligaments must be kept supple, because they are very important to protect the ligaments from pulling apart and tearing apart.
– Rotator cuff injuries – This is caused by improper and excessive use of the knee and also by repetitive knee movement. These two factors are common among athletes. In the worst cases, this may result to a tear in the menisci and the resulting pressure can cause more damage to the ligaments.
– Knee injuries – There are also instances where the cartilage gets damaged in the knee joint itself. This happens when the bones rub together and this is called a fracture. This is another reason why your knees hurt. You can get a small fracture here if you accidentally land a hard blow to the knee joint.
– Knee strain – This is another reason for the tearing of the meniscus and the resulting strain to the ligament. This occurs when the ligament is pulled when moving the knee. This can also be due to an injury to the bone or to repetitive lifting or kicking.
– Common symptoms include swelling of the affected area of your knee that can go away on its own and aching in that area. Slight redness may occur at times but it is usually less in intensity.
There are various treatment options for a menisciitis. If your pain is very intense and is constantly affecting your activities or the movements of your knee, it is recommended that you consult a doctor immediately so you can get a diagnosis and start the treatment for a menisciitis. Your physician will be able to guide you on the right course of treatment depending on the severity of your condition.
– The first thing that you can do to treat a menisciitis is to rest your knee. This will help reduce the inflammation that is usually associated with this condition. You can choose to use a brace or even use heat packs. Your doctor will tell you which option is best for you to use.
– If your doctor decides that the inflammation is not too severe, you can use ice and/or rest and then go back to using what you were doing earlier. – Another method is to apply ice or heat packs to the injured area.
– In case you have a lot of swelling and you have pain in your knee and you cannot bear to move your knee, you should wear a splint to keep the blood flow down and to stop the pressure that is put on the meniscus. – You can also use ice to prevent further damage to the ligaments. – You should also stay off your knee for a few days to allow it to heal.
There are various treatment options available for the meniscus and depending on your condition, they all provide some pain relief. These options are the safest way to treat and prevent any damage to the ligaments.